Simple Daily DIY - twine challenge project

Wednesday, June 8, 2016


I'm taking part in the Simple Daily DIY challenge during the month of June. Have you heard about it? The first challenge was all about twine/jute. I created this unique photo display box using supplies I already had on hand.


My supplies - a wood shadow box (mine was purchased at Ikea a number of years ago), a birch branch wood slice (my Dad cut a bunch of these for me but they are easy to find), a screw eyelet, twine/jute, a photo and scrapbook paper. 


I measured the top of my shadow box to find the centre and drilled a hole in that spot. The hole was just large enough so I could feed the two ends of the twine through it. 

I left my shadow box with the natural unfinished wood but you could easily paint it at this point if you wanted to. 


I used a round paper punch to crop an old family photo so it would fit on my birch branch slice. I added the screw eyelet to the top of the birch slice and then glued the photo onto the birch slice so it would hang straight.


To suspend the branch slice in the box: 
1. centre a long piece of twine through the screw eyelet and tie a quick knot close to the screw eyelet, 2. feed both ends of the twine through the hole of the shadow box, 3. figure out where you want the branch slice to hang inside the box and tie a knot at the top of the box to keep it in place. I tied a bow at the top of the box and trimmed the twine to finish.

Note: As you are working with the placement of the branch slice inside the box, you may need to adjust the angle of the screw eyelet so that the branch faces forward. Just give it a little twist until you are happy with the placement.


I cut a  piece of scrapbook paper to fit the back of the shadow box to complete.

 I used a kraft and gold foil dot pattern to match my home decor. Instead of using a pattern paper background I could have added another photo as a background. For example, a scenic water/sky photo would have added to the boating theme and complimented the colours in my family photo. Another idea is to add sand or beach glass inside the bottom of the shadow box.

If you try this project I'd love to see what you made! Add your own spin to make it your own. I'm on Instragram and you can tag me at @lorrieeveritt or #lorrieeverittstudio. 

 You can view Sustain My Craft Habit's YouTube video here to find out more about the Simple Daily DIY Challenge. 


3 comments:

  1. What a fun way to display and highlight a photo! Plus more ways to use up all those wood slices... Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I love this! So unique and clever to display special photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely idea Lorrie! What a special way to display memories. Love the shadow box - small mementos and souvenirs from trips could be added in there as well.

    We were so happy to have you join us for the first Simple Daily DIY challenge. Each of your projects were just so creative and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete